Pages

Sunday 19 May 2013

Selkirk Triathlon - Team Malcolms and the Middle

Started the day with a whole bunch of nerves. Not for me, if I can't run 6 miles the week before a marathon then there things are far wrong. But for Tracey and Alistair. Tracey was, I suspect, a little nervous about her big cycle, with some massive hills thrown in and Alistair for his 1500m swim, after two years recovering from his massive bleed.

But we got to Selkirk and as a team we settled each other down with considerable amount of laughing and guffawing at the race director (with wellies) oo arring his way through the race briefing. Not sure he knew what to do with Tracey's unique sense of humour!!!

We asked one of the marshalls (who was a wee laddie) to take our team photo. He wasn't all that great at photography and managed to take two really dodgy photos which make Tracey look like some kind of Angel!!!



Then it was time for Alistair to head into the pool.  For a brief moment I had a wee tear but was determined to hide it from Tracey (who doesn't do greetin'). I was very proud of Alistair, who has overcome a bad bleed, still taking his factor 9 every third day and coping with still having Colin the clot hanging around. So off he set with his wee white hat perched on his head. Steady Eddie, that's what I am going to call him. His stroke was like a metronome. The hat was slowly slipping off his head as he swam. He did have a bit of a shark in his lane, who was clearly in the wrong lane and got out at least 8 lengths earlier than Alistair and the lady who was in the lane with them. The guy managed to batter the woman on the head and knock her goggles off and he gained himself a kick from Alistair for annoying him one to many times. But then he got out and they both got into a good rhythm to take them to the end. I saw Alistair get his tap on the head to say two lengths left and then I ran outside to catch him and Tracey doing their hand over. I got there to hear Tracey whooping and hollaring and then she came running out to her bike. Alistair did his first 1500m swim in two years in a fabulous 39 mins.



Tracey the sped off up the hill. And up the next hill, and the next one. Tracey said that there was mist at the top of the hill so she just got her head down until she finally saw something yellow in the mist and realised it was the Marshalls signalling the top of the hill. She said she kept thinking she would need a rest and then a down hill would come along and she just went "weeeeeeeeee" all the way down it. Well all those mind games played off as she came screaming into the transition area way faster than I had imagined and then it was turn. Tracey did her bit in 1 hour 53 mins.

Tracey coming in faster than we expected (I thought I had another 15 mins to wait) meant that I was caught on the hop and had to get myself into run mode in a flash. I could just hear Tracey shouting "remember sprint finish Jane" and then I heard her turn to someone and say "I am so glad I am not running". 

I headed off out on the run route. I was determined not to settle into my marathon trudge and to try and run it at a decent pace. For the first part I had to run alongside the river which was really nice. Then you headed into some trees and out onto the main road. At this point it did get a bit dull, but I kept reminding myself that next weekend I will be running in a straight line out and back for a lot longer than 6 miles. I was keeping a decent pace and then round about 3 and a half miles I did feel my legs slip into marathon trudge, then in the distance I could see the next wave coming along. I passed a woman I had been talking to poolside and thought I am not going to let her and the next wave catch me up. So kicked into action and ran a bit faster. Finally, I could see the entrance back into the park. Thank goodness, I was tiring a little, but I knew there were runners behind me. By this point I could see the really good guys out on their run leg. C'mon one last push JaneyM!!! There was the finish line. Tracey was shouting "c'mon Jane Sprint finish" Her and her bloomin' sprint finish!! I dug in and of course, Fetchie wing waved over the line. 61 MINS - get in there!!! Seasons best. Ya beauty :)

And the best thing, we weren't last!!!! 

Three things were achieved today. Alistair knows now he can still do something competitive which is in the world of Triathlon (next stop team middle distance - him swim/cycle me run), Tracey now has a full understanding of what it will take for her to complete the Standard distance triathlon (you do know that I won't let it go now Tracey) and me, I definitely have a marathon in my legs. Eeeeek, can't wait for next weekend now.

Well done, team Malcolms and the Middle.

The End


Update text: official race times -

Swim - 39:10
T1- 48secs
bike - 1:53:39
T2 - 23 secs
run - 61:09

overall - 3 hr, 35 mins and 09 secs

Bloomin' marvellous! Don't think our transition times will ever be that fast again :)

No comments:

Post a Comment