Pages

Tuesday 23 July 2013

How exciting, a new path to run along...

Today I set out in very thundery weather to go for a familiar, regular and a little bit boring route up the Edinburgh Road out of Penicuik towards Silverburn. It is not an unpleasant route but after running for 20 years up and down the same old routes it is quite unusual to find a new route to run, I pretty much know all the routes around Penicuik with a variety of different distances from 5K up to 20 odd miles. But Andy recently told me about a new path he had come across when he was running.  Whilst I was running up the hill contemplating how long it would be before the thunder and lightening would start up and pour down I noticed a sign for the new path. The sign on the path said the path had been created by the Friends of the Pentland Hills. So off I went down the new path to a little bridge.




Over the bridge there were a set of steps which took me further up the hill. This was looking like an interesting wee run unfolding. Once over the bridge and up the steps the path suddenly was overcome with overgrown ferns. They were soaking wet after the rain that we had earlier. The air was really warm and sticky so actually the cool water around my legs and in my shoes was wonderful. 




Once through the ferns the path took me over two stiles and then up a steep slope. It was a really nice path. Down the hill there was the Silverburn with a few little waterfalls (not accessible by the path) and to the otherside there was a field of sheep. A really nice little path. After quite a few more steep slopes the path took a turn down the way. After a quick stop to look at the gorgeous view Carnethy and Scaldlaw (by this point the sun was out and it was lovely and sunny and warm) I headed down a really steep slope back towards the road.




The route I normally take up to Silverburn is predictable and I know how long it takes me and just how long it is but this was an interesting, different detour from the usual route. A little hidden gem!

A quick turn towards Silverburn to take a picture of Scaldlaw and Carnethy and I then picked up the route back down the hill and the sun was shining, the shire horses were still there munching the field as usual but I had a great new route to run and was quite happy with myself.




Jaggy Thistles..
So it just shows that there is always a new route to be found even when you think you know all the routes there are to know! This was a good run.

don't worry, be happy :)









No comments:

Post a Comment