Pages

Wednesday 8 January 2014

Prizes and great training.

This week has been not too bad all told. The week started with an email from Lord Fetch telling me that I had won a prize in the Fetch Festive Calendar. I won a great Gore Running Top worth £70 whoop whoop!!!

Then today I went out for a brilliant 7 miles with my running pal Alastair Scott (aka Scotty). The good thing about running with people who are faster than you is that they make you run really hard. I am not sure if he felt he was running that hard but I was bloody knackered.

So starting at the car park at Flotterstone on a lovely sunny afternoon,





we headed up 3.5 miles up to the Howe. The water in the reservoir was both really deep and very choppy. I was working very hard and at one point did have to say that I would talk when we got to the flat bit. I was using up all the breath I had to run up the hill, never mind talk. However, it is a tough wee hill but a great feeling when you hit the flat bit and see the reservoir.

I always see that run in two sections. The first bit is up to the end of the first reservoir and then the second bit is the end of the second reservoir. By the time we got up to the top bit the setting sun was peeking out around the hillside. We did have a bit of a laugh whilst Alastair tried to decided whether he was looking at the sun or the moon. Doesn't get out in the daylight much!!!

Stopped at the Howe to take some photos, can you tell that Alastair doesn't like getting his picture taken MUCH!





After that having pushed our way up the hill through the wind I announced that I would not be happy if it didn't turn around with us. But thankfully it did, that brings with it more problems, like my legs were going to fast for my body!!! 

I am pretty sure we ran a negative split, and I think it might have been deliberate!! I did notice that Alastair kept checking his watch and was pushing on, getting faster each time he looked at his watch. I knew what he was up to but hung on in there. I will get faster!!

Finally in the last mile, I knew he was pushing me to run hard. I was nearly passing out with the effort. But we got to the finish and he announced with glee that we had done just over a 9 minute mile!!! Not bad.

So this week has not been bad at all and mostly it is down to Fetcheveryone. A most excellent prize and a good friend who I met through Fetch, who has his own trials to deal with, but who always has time to listen to my tales of woe (and I hope he thinks I listen too, as I try to even though I can't begin to understand what he has to deal with). Running is so much more than just exercise. It is really helping me deal with what has happened to us and having everyone join us in Team Ali is just amazing.

There are loads of us doing the Great Winter Run this weekend in Holyrood Park so if you are around please pop down and cheer us on. And if you are heading out for your own training this weekend whether running, walking or hopping please know that I am so proud of everyone who is taking on their own challenge to help raise money for Cancer Research. One day very clever scientists (maybe Andrew!) will find ways of getting ahead of Cancer and saving a few more lives. 

don't worry, be happy :)





No comments:

Post a Comment