Pages

Wednesday 25 October 2023

The road back to New York

 

It is now less than two weeks to the New York Marathon and I could not feel less prepared. Earlier in September I caught covid, although didn't know I had it at the time, but my asthma sure let me know after the event. It took a few weeks of recovery to get over that and then I was back on form. Managed several long runs and then did my 20 mile training run on the 9 October.

I felt brilliant, had a great run. Beautiful day along the Hillfoots road and in and out of the Hillfoot villages to Alva. I have been using the Jeffing method of running. Which is Run/Walk/Run based on a method developed by Jeff Galloway. It took a bit of getting used to but it has been amazing. It has really helped regulate my pace, keeping me trotting along at an even pace the whole way.


But then, BAM, I got a cold, out of nowhere. The cold then turned into a chest infection and then I pulled a muscle in my side coughing. The last week has been a combination of coughing and yelping with the pain in my side.

So right now I feel like running a marathon might be a challenge (or more of a one that it normally is). But as my best mate, Yvonne said to me "the trouble is your mind is stronger than your body" so I will be on that start line. It is what I do, I start. I know I can walk it if I have to and I will not go all the way to New York and not take part in one of the most amazing marathons in the world. 

Today is the first day that I would say my side has finally stopped hurting as much as it had been. So I am going to look back on some of my training and the amazing runners I have shared the training with. 

Earlier on this year we all headed down to the Lake District to take on the Keswick trail races. It was a Kilted Lassies (me, Hazel and Yvonne) day out with Rhona and Mark joining in. It was the usual mix of bogs and hills. Brilliant fun as always. 


Having left Penicuik in March I was missing my Jog Scotland buddies so Mark and I decided to go find out about the Jog Scotland Stirling Striders. What a great bunch of people. It has been so much fun finding new places to run, meeting new friends, and having fun at races and Parkrun with our new Jog Scotland family.


Before I got ill with Covid I managed to jeff my way around the Glasgow Half Marathon. I had a really great run. It wasn't the most exciting route (a bit of a route change due to road works) but as always it was a brilliant day out. I had a look at my medals from over the years and since I started running I have run Glasgow half 15 times. It has always been one of my favorites and I am glad it is still as much fun as it always was. 


After I had done my 20-mile training run, the cold kicked in and I got a sore throat. I made the decision to go to the Lakes to take part in the Dirty Double (Helvellyn 10km and Ullswater 10km) as it is the end-of-year party at the Lakeland Trails. But in all honesty, I was not really well enough to do it, but got around. It was the usual mix of fun, mud, trails, singing (thanks to Pete Lashley), and photography japes with Jumpy James. I think the best bit was being able to sit in the hot tub under the stars with a glass of wine and good company. The Lakeland Trails big bobble hats were also the perfect headgear to go with the hot tub wear. 




I have also been trying to keep up my yoga every day in the October Strava challenge. Which I have done, it has been tough with all the illness but with the odd 10-minute session I have managed. I do think it has really helped maintain my fitness and strength. My brilliant yoga teacher has classes recorded on her website so between her and Adrienne they have kept me going.

So with less than two weeks to go to the start line, will I make it? I damn well hope so, even if I have to walk most of the way. New York is one 26.2-mile party that I don't want to miss. 

And the medal looks pretty fancy too!


Going to trust in my experience, trust in my ability to get around, and trust in my mind to have the strength to make it to the finish. I can't wait. 

Watch this space for more.

don't worry, be happy :)















No comments:

Post a Comment