Pages

Saturday 22 September 2012

Biking, tea and swimming :)

Yesterday, Alistair and I had a rare day off together so as the sun was shining we decided to put the bikes on the roof of the car and head off for a nice bike ride together. We took the car down to a spot near Roslin and got on our bikes. I did have a bit of a giggle before we started because Alistair's bike computer had a great instruction on it that I totally wanted to follow!



We headed off down past Kilburn Woods.


Now I thought we were going for a nice road run but nooooooo Alistair had other ideas. Well he hasn't been on his bike off road like this for nearly two years so who was I to interfere with his fun! As he rode his bike effortlessly down farm tracks and up and down forrest trails, I was on and off my bike, with lots of swearing. (I am so not a mountain biker). But, I did manage it and I did actually enjoy myself.




Finally we finished with the off road stuff and turned onto the railway path to Loanhead. That was really nice. The sun was shining and it was quiet so we just trundled along for a bit chatting. Then I asked a stupid question "so, Alistair, how is it that Tracey can overtake me and then disappear off down the road so fast that I can hardly see her for dust?". "High Cadence" was his answer!!! This then resulted in him showing me how I should increase my cadence without getting out of breath. Ha, I get the principle, but I was still out of breath!!!! 



We cycled all the way down to Loanhead and then took a turn around Loanhead before coming back onto the railway back to Roslin. More cadence work - by this point I was bloomin' knackered! My legs were like jelly. But it was good fun and I was cycling a lot more smoothly than I had been at the beginning.

Eventually we were back in Roslin and stopped for a wee breather. The sun was shining and it was warm. Perfect for bike riding. What a brilliant day we were having. 



Not wanting to go home just yet, and we still had a bit of time before Rhona was due back in from school I suggested we head down to the chapel for a wee nosy! After a stop to look at the beautiful view Alistair suggested we stop for a cup of tea at the Stable Snack Bar. Best cup of tea ever!!! Being outside with great company and a nice cup of tea is a perfect way to spend a morning off. 


Then it was time to go home. What a great morning we had. It was so nice to see Alistair back on his bike enjoying himself. It has been a long time coming and I think he really felt great after it. Me on the other hand bloody knackered with wobbly legs. How come Alistair can be so strong after not being on his bike for 2 years and me, training all the time, still puggled! Oh well, had fun though.

Then to top it off I headed down to Beeslak swimming pool at 8pm to meet with Lynne, my fabulous swimming teacher, who totally transformed my technique and gave me lots to practice next time I get in the pool. 

Bed time, absolutely knick knacked! But happy :)

don't worry, be happy :)








No comments:

Post a Comment