Pages

Sunday 7 October 2012

3 Hills and sunshine

Great Edinburgh Run 10K

A few months ago Alistair came home from work with the (secret) information that the usual 10K route for this race had been changed due to a variety of unavoidable issues. When he showed me the proposed new route my first instinct was to cry "not doing it". It was as if they had asked some runners for the worst hills in Edinburgh not to include in a 10K and then included them all!!!!!

So, with some trepidation I got up this morning, mainly because I had talked Andy into running the 5K and as a teenager he would just grab the chance to stay in his bed longer if I had offered him the chance. We headed into Holyrood Park which was beginning to get busy with 5K runners. The sun was shining but it was blooming freezing.



After a hunt for the toilets - there was an enormous sign saying "TOILETS" but there were none to be seen - they were miles down the road from where the sign was. After that we headed off to the baggage tent as Andy decided that he wanted to get rid of his bag as it was getting near time for him to start his race. Just outside the tent we found Tracey, Fiona and her Dad. We had a bit of a laugh with them and then Tracey decided that she would put her stuff in the tent, Fiona was running the 10K so was staying firmly in her warm clothes (just like me!).



The call to the start came so Tracey and Andy headed off to find their way into their pen. I wandered over to the start and was surprised to find Tracey and Andy coming back laughing. A marshall had sent them off to the back of the field and their pen was at the front. Right at the front!!!!! Then the warm up started. Now, Andy being a teenager is not prone to outbursts of enthusiasm for things but somehow or other Tracey's exuberance took over and he joined in much to the hilarity of me, Fiona and her Dad.

somebody call for a Doctor, there is something wrong with Tracey!!!!!

Tracey they said lift your rib cage, they are not your ribs!!!



Then they were off!! 

Look at the sun!!!!


Then it was my turn, off to my green start spot!




The sun was shining so much you can hardly see that it says "Green". Don't be fooled though it was really cold. We had to line up in our pens before the start and listen to the man shouting at the beginning. I was so cold I was chittering and had huge goose bumps. Time to get going I think.



Then we were off. Tracey shouted "hiya Jane" at the start which was great. Up towards Queens Drive. From Queens Drive we went to down the hill to Duddingston Loch. And then the lovely down hill turned into a huge uphill. I did stop and walk for a teensy bit here, it was just too tough. Then we ran round to the Commonwealth pool (another hill) and then onto the Pleasance and down to St Mary's Street. I was starting to enjoy myself now, and was really feeling quite good. The thing with hills is that you have to work quite hard so the miles just kind of slip past. At that point we got to 5K. Half way. Ran down the Canongate. I decided I really wanted to enjoy this bit as I always enjoyed running down the Royal Mile when it was the finish, so I settled into a nice rhythm. Just in front of me I spotted Moira, a lady who I use to run with when I worked at Dalkeith Social Work Centre. Moira is a great runner and I tried to hunt her down today. But nope, couldn't quite make it. She stayed just in front of me the whole way back. Got to the bottom of the Canongate and despite being able to see the finish, I knew I still had 3K to go. Saw Tracey at the bottom who reassured me that I only had "one more buggery hill to go Jane" (to which many runners around me groaned!). So I dug in and took to Abbey Mount. This hill should not be a surprise as I ran it a lot when I lived in the town. The toughest bit of this last challenge was not Abbey Mount but probably the climb up Regent Road to the turning point. Quite a hill. There were lots of people walking by this point. I was still feeling quite good though so I just kept on going. Finally, we turned back down Abbey Mount and weeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee all the way back down the hill to the finish. What a brilliant downhill - finally :)

Got to the finish, picked up my slightly dodgy grey looking t-shirt (Tracey and Andy got a fabulous Blue one for the 5K - what's that all about?). Tracey was waiting for me at the finish. A great friendly face. We then waited for Fiona to come in. She came in with a huge smile on her face. First 10K and 3 stonking hills. Well done Fiona. Tracey got another PB and I was 3 mins faster than I was last year with 65:35 mins. And Andy, he only went and finished 16th overall with a time of 21 mins. With no training - don't you just hate fit young teenagers!

Truly A Great Run :)

don't worry, be happy :)



No comments:

Post a Comment