Pages

Sunday 16 March 2014

Killing the Kilomathon!

I have been struggling with a bit of a stiff back whilst I have been running the last few weeks, then it came to me one day when I was putting my trainers away in the cupboard. I need new running shoes! If the soles of my shoes had been the tyres on my car I'd've definitely collected a point or two. It is no wonder really I did train for two marathons with them. They are absolutely flat as a pancake. So I managed to get a replacement pair on line which are the same make but black. Never had black running shoes before - I'll be like a stealth runner!!


Day before the Kilomathon I had my second long run of the week. By 10.30am I had eleven more miles in the bag. It was blowing a gale and freezing but a good run nonetheless. At that point I didn't have the new shoes and my back was niggling away as it had been for a week or two. After my run Rhona and I had breakfast and then Rhona wasn't that well. I was beginning to doubt whether we would be able to run the Kilomathon which would have been a shame as Rhona has been training hard. We went over to see the pups and whilst we were at Cathy's my new shoes turned up. All nice and bouncy will a lovely thick sole! Now I know why my back has been sore - there was no tread on my old shoes at all. 

Early on Sunday morning I got up, had a cup of tea, and despite the wind it was a nice morning. I tentatively went into Rhona and gently woke her up. (It is a little like waking a sleeping lioness but this morning she was a fairly happy lioness). We got our breakfast and then headed down to Mum and Dad's our official support team for the day. Got to the race start and Rhona began to get a little nervous (as did I) there weren't that many people there and it looked like it was going to be a small, quick field. But convinced the field would get bigger when we joined the main race, which started at Ocean Terminal. Sure enough, word got around that there were loads of people coming along the railway.


It was an odd start really. We were on a little path which joined up with the main path (which was full of runners from the main race) the marshalls basically just waited for a bit of a gap and then set us all off. I think if I had been running the main race and we had all ran out in front of me I'd've been a wee bit fed up. Still that was the way it was so we got on with it. Running along an old railway line is a safe bet as it has just enough bends in it to stop it being boring and straight but it is always fairly flat with only gentle inclines. Rhona had told me not to talk to her, especially if she was struggling. I was under orders not to try and motivate her. So I decided on the better part of valour and decided to do what I was told. I had a sneaky look sideways a few times to check that she was okay and both times she was just fine. The kilometres were ticking away nicely and Rhona was doing really well. She was running really evenly and strongly. I was very proud of her. I was really enjoying running alongside my beautiful daughter. 

We had about 2 kilometres to go and Rhona spotted Murray field and asked if that was the stadium. It was a nice view. Once we were off the railway we turned onto the road and ran along towards Murrayfield. We had to run around the field outside for a bit and as we got onto the path in the park Rhona shouted that she could see yellow gloves - It was Tracey!!! There giving us her speciality Mexica Wave. Thanks Tracey, nice to see you there, even if you did shout at us to do a sprint finish. We turned into the stadium which was very cool, saw Mum and Dad in the stands waving at us and Rhona suddenly took to her heels and got faster and faster. Over the line and we're done. Well done Rhona a PeeeeeBeeee no matter what the time is. You are now officially over 5K next stop the 10K!!!


So that's another medal and number in the bag for me, an excellent run for Rhona and a nice morning out.



don't worry, be happy :)




No comments:

Post a Comment