Pages

Saturday 25 October 2014

Day 6 - Triathlon training

This week hasn't gone quite as I had planned it to be. After my flourish on Monday I suddenly felt absolutely rubbish (guessing it was a reaction to my flu jag) so by Saturday I had done nothing again. But enthusiasm struck and this morning I was up bright and early dragging Kobi out for a half hour run in the dark!

The it was time to take Rhona to her work. When I got back I had a quick bit of breakfast and then saddled up my trusty white steed! (well I got my bike out of the garage and put my helmet on :) ).


By this point the rain had started and the wind was getting up nicely (note for those who are cyclists - I had a love run in the warm, calm morning when I got on my bike I was cold, wet and knackered. Remind me Douglas and Tracey why is this the best bit of the Triathlon?). But on I went, it was on my schedule to go for a bike ride today so like the good athlete I am I stuck to it.

Cycled (got blown most of the way all the way down the hill to the railway at Valleyfield. Had a lovely sheltered, calm, bit wet cycle along the railway. Enjoying the autumn colours as I went. 




Got to the end of the railway quite happy with myself. Was a bit wet but generally cycle this far was just fine. See how happy I look...


As I cycled off the railway I groaned a bit because the wind hid me sideways and it was really hard to stay upright. At the bottom of the massive mile long hill. But Arthur Seat waits on me in January so got to stop avoiding the big hills. On I went, channelled Tracey cycling up Ventoux and slipped into my granny gear (which thanks to Grease Monkeys now works again). Got to the top of the first bit of the hill which to be fair is quite steep, Had to stop for a second to cross the road (welcome break if I am honest) then I turned up the next bit. The next bit of the hill, the road into Penicuik from Peebles is not quite as steep but climbs up gradually. That bit wasn't bad at all. Still quite happy with myself. That then brought me onto the flat bit at Bog Road, wee bit of a rest I think. Then I was at the bottom of Rullion Road. For those who don't cycle around Penicuik, Rullion Road is just a long laborious climb and for a rubbish cyclist like me it was just horrible thinking about it. But with Arthur Seat in mind I decided that it was time to just get on with it and get up this hill. Slowly but surely I got up the hill and before I knew where I was (well eventually anyway and I my thighs definitely knew where they were) I was at the top and heading back down the hill to my house. Meanwhile the rain was battering down and the wind was howling. But thanks to my lovely birthday pressie from Christina (a warm buff) my ears were nice and toasty and I was quite happy battling the wind. Will need to go and buy some warmer gloves though my wee hands were just a bit chilly. 

So tomorrow brings a swim and a run I think to catch up on the training I have missed this week. Am heading through to Granny Malcolm's so will probably head down for a swim early in the morning and squeeze a run in too.

Despite myself I did actually enjoy my bike ride. I think having something to train for has maybe given my bike riding a purpose so here we go into the bike training I go with a smile on my face.

don't worry, be happy :)







No comments:

Post a Comment