Pages

Saturday 27 June 2015

Running in the rain - 26/6/15

First day of the holidays and whilst I was completing my last Friday taxi run of this term (taking Rhona to her work) I decided to take myself up Blackford Hill for a bit of a play.


It was very warm and overcast. Two hours to kill so off I went into the Nature Reserve. No idea where I was heading but took the first path I came to. Found this, no idea what it is but I suspect it was supposed to be some sort of musical instrument. 


The path I took then was up the hill, gut feeling was telling me I was heading up towards Blackford Hill by running this way. And yep, sure enough, popped out at the bottom of Blackford Hill. The path up Blackford Hill took me past the most beautiful foxgloves. Just like being in Keswick.





 Stunning views of Edinburgh as I climbed higher. But those clouds are beginning to build. Rain on it's way? Still very warm.


Oh look at the wee bunny rabbit! I had to creep up to this one and stand really still to try and catch it before it scooted into the broom. This was at the bottom of a really steep bit so the rest was welcomed. Having a ball, this was a great hill to have a play on.



Once I got to the top of this steep bit, I was at the top of the hill. Stopped for a bit to look at the map of the hills on the horizon. Then the rain started, it was coming rapidly over from the Forth. It was still boiling but somehow or other I still had cold hands and the wind was blowing a hoolie. I don't think it is ever not windy in Edinburgh.






Then I ran over the hill towards the Braid Hills and oh my look at the rain clouds creeping in over the Pentlands. 


 Quick detour over to see the Observatory. Such a great building. With spectacular views of Edinburgh.



Reluctant as I was to lose all the height I had gained I dropped down the other side of the hill to the Blackford Pond. We used to take Andy and Rhona there when they were little for a walk as they could feed the ducks. Nice reminisce!





 


Beautiful pond.





  Beautiful flowers.


 Not sure either of these pictures really give an idea of how steep this set of steps were up to the mast but take it from me they were really steep and huge giant steps. I was puggled and my legs were just a little bit wobbly by the time I got to the top. What you can't see either is just how heavy the rain was by this point. It was coming in fast over Edinburgh.


 With the rain getting heavier and my play time coming to an end I headed back towards the car, through the Fairy Glen.

The best thing in the rain is mushrooms, they always just look amazing wild and in the rain.  


Back to the car and by this point the rain was absolutely bouncing! Head back down to collect Rhona after a brilliant play up the hill. 


Don't worry, be happy :)



No comments:

Post a Comment