Pages

Saturday 27 June 2015

Edinburgh Technopole - Beeslak All Stars Disabled Sports Club 5K - 27/6/15

https://www.facebook.com/beeslackallstars?fref=ts


This 5K was organised to raise funds for a cracking organisation in Penicuik called the Beeslak All Stars Disabled Sports Club. It is a great organisation bringing new meaning to Participation. It is a real partnership of everyone who goes to the club whether they have additional support needs or not. It provides really community support for children and young people and their families. I am always very impressed by what they do. So when  I heard about it I was very keen to take part. 

Saturday morning came and I almost didn't go as I had housework to do and University work to do, but I thought, No I said I would do it so I took Rhona to work and then headed to the Bush Estate to the start. Picked up my number - 42. The Answer to Life the Universe and Everything. Perfect!!!!


Off to the start. What was amazing was the enthusiasm of the kids going to the start. Brilliant atmosphere.



Catherine was the organiser and was brilliant. Very enthusiastic and full of bubbles. We did have a bit of a giggle as when she went to start us all off she gave us a count down and then her air horn didn't work and it was all a huge anti climax to which the kids thought was absolutely hilarious. Great atmosphere.




Most relaxed start line I have ever been at. It was fantastic. Off we ran. The kids were brilliant, they scorched off like the ground was on fire! There were some of the club members in wheelchairs. The course was fantastic, it was all on trails around the Bush Estate. I would like to say it was flat but there were a few tricky wee rocky slopes that I imagine were tough to negotiate in a wheelchair. 

As I got to the end of the first lap the sun came out and it was really hot. There were marshalls all the way around the course and lots of fantastic support. Lynne and her camera! I was running alongside a lovely lady who worked at the Bush, we chatted and ran together for a bit and had a chuckle when two lads who were behind us were chatting and the older of the boys said "If I hadn't had to stop for a pee, I could have been first. I think next time I will get one of those golf sticks that you unscrew the top and stick your willy in and just pee". I turned to the woman I was running with and said "that sounds handy" we both giggled. After that the two boys shot off in front of us and disappeared in a flurry of youthful enthusiasm. I deliberately didn't put my watch on as I wanted to just run and enjoy myself. Which I was doing hugely. Soon the second lap was over and I headed back to Bush House where the finish tree was! We had to run around the tree, which was fun and then were met with a stipey tape, lifted up for every person to run through. The kids loved breaking the tape! 



The most important job of all, the timekeepers and the medal givers. I had said to Julie at the beginning that I hadn't worn my watch as I wasn't that bothered about a time today. But, having had a great run where I felt like I had run a good pace, suddenly I wanted to know what my time was. 

29.05!!!!! Sub 30. First time in ages. What a brilliant day out, considering I almost chose to do housework instead.


 
Blue skies over the Bush Estate. Lovely run.


I have run a lot of races in my 29 years of running and some of them have been huge (London), some of them have been hilly and long (Kielder and Windermere) but I don't think I have ever run a race where the participants have run with such enthusiasm and courage, some of the young people were doing their run for the first time and with huge smiles on their faces. One boy, Ben, who I was running behind would run for a bit and then slow down and walk, and when we caught up with him he would start running again. In a big race that would normally be a bit annoying but this young boy was using us to keep himself running. He was so determined not to give up. He did so well. 5K is a long way when you are young. Catherine told me that Lynne had said that the great thing about this was how some of the parents had started running/walking with their kids to prepare for this 5K. Which is exactly what the club is all about. Everyone having fun together - All stars regardless of ability. Everyone is equal. A great way of thinking and being. Well done everyone on organising such an inspirational day.

Thanks guys what a brilliant race. Hope it will be an annual event. It should be!!!!!

don't worry, be happy. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment