Pages

Friday 13 September 2013

26.2 for Boris and Doris

Our little family has been through a tough few weeks. It started when Alistair ended up back in the hospital just before Andrew moved out to his flat in Edinburgh. Then both Rhona and I ended up with colds. Poor Alistair missed out on moving Andy into his flat and Andy missed having his Dad helping him. He had to put up with me, Rhona, Grandma and Grandad. Grandma almost moved him into the wrong flat and was merrily introducing herself to a lovely student who wasn't in fact one of Andrew's new flat mates (they were in the wrong flat with Andy and I watching them from the door of the right one!!). Then Alistair's infection completely flared up and he has been in the hospital on antibiotics ever since (ten days ago). Meanwhile Rhona and I were preparing for her Czech Republic exchange pupil to come and stay (bad timing). She arrived on Tuesday and the poor girl has cried for her Mum ever since. Rhona is weary trying to help her out, I am weary visiting Ali, comforting Rhona and her friend. Poor Alistair is still stuck in hospital looking remarkably healthy amongst three men who look like they are on their last legs. Andrew, thankfully is having a ball at Uni. Getting drunk, not sleeping and eating pizza. The perfect freshers week!

I miss Alistair very much, I miss him making me laugh, I miss his moaning about the dishwasher being badly filled, his bad jokes and him saying "that's your tea, you've had it" and lots more. Rhona has been a rock through all of this and has only really gotten emotional this week and that is more about the emotional stress she has been under with her visitor. Friends on facebook, fetch and at work have been there for me and I am forever grateful especially my friends at work who have stepped in and let me be off to get myself together again. Without you all this would have been an even tougher week.

Those of you who know I run will know that I have been frantically training for the Loch Ness Marathon which is in two weeks time. I was just heading into my taper weeks when Alistair went into hospital. We held out hope that I might still be able to go to Inverness but now I know we won't be able to go. Even if Alistair does get out next week I am not making him go all the way to Inverness. So, after a spark of an idea last week I have decided that I am going to run an alternative marathon right here in Edinburgh on the same day. Here is the route:

http://gb.mapometer.com/running/route_3645303.html

I am planning to start at Cramond (wee coffee shop) at 9.30am and will hopefully be able to run it in around 5 - 5.30 hours. I was on for 5 hours but my last week's running has been minimal so not sure it will be the fastest run ever. I would really love it if you had a wee bit time to spare and could either come and join me for bits of the run, water and fuel stops, generally waving and cheering. Nearer the time I will post rough estimates on what times I will be where.

Why bother? Some may ask. Well, I spent a considerable amount of my training time with Vicki Wietz who was a performance artist in the Fringe running 26 marathons in  26 days. She became a real inspiration as she battled injuries, mental doubts and fatigue. She didn't need to get up at 4am every morning and then run up and down the royal mile 26 times everyday but she did because she made a promise to herself to complete her challenge. I follow Ingrid Kristiansen on Facebook who was my inspiration to start running many many years ago, and she still runs and is hugely active. And then there is my Alistair who is my biggest inspiration. He has dealt with haemophilia all his life and has met many challenges of his own. He is a 70.3 Ironman, has run a marathon, and taken part in lots of other challenges. He is my rock, I lean on him probably too much, but well he is a comfy lean! I admire how he has dealt with still having to take his factor regularly since his bleed 2 and a half years ago and now with how he is dealing with this stint in hospital. So why bother run this marathon? Well, I have trained for it, I am inspired by many people, and I made myself the promise to run 26.2 miles on the 29th September. I don't want to let Alistair down who always wants me to be strong and get on with life. He has helped me train for this marathon by picking me up at the end of runs, helping me work out my fueling and generally just keeping me motivated. So this one is for us. Boris and Doris.

Why Boris and Doris? Our secret!

So if you are around on the 29th pop along to some point on my route and run, shout, throw things at me, feed me, water me, whatever but I will be there at some point along the way. Coffee at the wee cafe for anyone who lasts with me to the end.

Love to Alistair and hurry up and get well and come home, we all miss you.

don't worry, be happy :)

Oh, and to satisfy my need for bling, I am going to enter the Glasgow Half Marathon! I can get there on the train myself!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment