Pages

Monday 16 September 2013

Getting my legs going again..

Went back to my marathon training schedule today. It has been a bit all over the place for the last two weeks but with only Alistair to worry about now I thought I'd get back to the plan and see if I could pick up where I should be. So having missed my last long run last weekend, but confident that I have a 20 miler under my belt I went out for the 6 mile run that was the start of my taper week. And here is how it went...

First mile was through the woods and it is funny how all year I have been running through all the seasons but because I have missed a week or so running, summer appears to have turned in autumn...




This is probably my favourite time of year for running as I just love playing with my inner child and swooshing through the leaves!!! What I don't really like though is the chilly wind that makes your ears and your hands cold. Noticed that around 2 and a half miles as I was pushing through the wind up the big long hill.

I didn't run up this hill, just alongside it!

So I slogged my way up the hill to the main road. Now as graffiti goes, I don't really care one way or another. Good or bad graffiti doesn't really bother me. But this piece of art really does make me smile every time I see it. And it is right at the end of a long 3 mile hill, I look forward to having a giggle every time.


I was running into the wind the whole way, it was freezing and really hard work. All that kept me going was the hope that it would blow me all the way back when I turned around. Not on your nelly duff! Was as blooming hard on the way back as it was on the way out. WHAT is that all about?

But 6 miles done and whilst I was tired (well it has been a hell of a week or two) I managed it, can still feel the strength in my legs and my mind (which is probably the most important bit for the marathon). My hamstrings are very tight but I reckon that is down to sitting in the car driving to the hospital instead of running. But that can soon be sorted with some stretching and it started when I got back (much to Rhona's entertainment!).

left leg stretched...

That's the right one done...


Can't imagine why Rhona found it funny, it was blinking agony from my side of the bus!!!!

I've had lovely offers of help to run with me on my marathon and I am really chuffed. I really wanted to do this run for Alistair because I don't want him to feel that his stay in hospital has ruined a summer of training for me. And you know what 26.2 miles is 26.2 miles regardless of whether you do it on your own, with a few friends or with thousands of people. I don't need a t-shirt, blingy medals or a bag of crap which goes in the bucket after you have half eaten the dodgy health bar, threw out the sachets of face cream and vouchers for stuff you will never buy. What matters is the distance and you! How you meet the challenge and how the challenge meets you! I want to show my Alistair how strong I can be for him and how much I admire the way he deals with the challenges that he has to face. 26.2 miles is no where near what he has to deal with. 

Alistair may or may not be there in person, depending on whether he gets out or not but I know he will be there with me in spirit and he can just move over and let me lie down for a bit after it (if we pull the curtains the nurses will never know, might even put me on a drip if I look knackered enough!!

So to those who have offered to run with me, an enormous thanks and I will put up timings for where I will be when (approximately) so that you can join me wherever you want to.

Let the taper madness begin...

don't worry, be happy :)




No comments:

Post a Comment