Pages

Saturday 23 June 2012

Running after Rhona



Rhona said that she would like to go for a run when we were through at Granny's today. We are both running the Race for Life in Truro on our holidays and Rhona, despite a slow build up to her training (you are meant to taper down Rhona not up!) she has now got her training under way.

The last time I went out with Rhona she was quite slow, her pace was a little erratic, however full of enthusiasm. So off I set thinking I was out for a nice wee jog along the coastal path in St Monans. Despite all the rain, it was actually quite nice and sunny, if a bit windy. The path was quite wet and muddy but we skipped off down the path. My first mistake was to stop and take photos whilst Rhona continued to run along the path! She passed me as I was trying to get my phone back into my pocket and skipped away off along the path. Suddenly I realised that I was going to have to run some to catch up to her. Wait a minute, she used to run slowly, where has this speed come from???? I was quite out of breath by the time I caught up with her and she still kept on going. This was not the run I had been expecting, it was a very hard work out! The wind was behind us and eventually I pulled up alongside her and commented on how she had gotten fast all of a sudden and that I was very impressed with the way she was running. We finally got to the far end of the path at Pittenweem, about 1 1/2 miles from St Monans. Stopped to look at the view and discuss how windy it actually was. Rhona is really good company when she escapes the ties of teenager life and just gives herself to life! We had a bit of a laugh taking photos of each other in a howling gale and then decided we really should head back.

We then turned and headed back down the path, finally she slowed down and I was able to keep up. It was really windy and her small frame was struggling to push into the strong wind. Still she kept up a fairly decent pace and we ran together for a while until we made it back to St Monans. After a short break at the Saltpans we headed back to Granny's. On the way back Rhona could not resist having a wee shot on the new swing on the way back. She did say though that it was really hard work and her stomach muscles were hurting trying to make it work. Could this be a new fitness craze?? Magic fun I would imagine :)


As a last burst we had a sprint finish back to Granny's gate. I will admit to the fact that Rhona did beat me but only by about an inch! Quite happy that as an auld 42 year old I can still keep up with a young fresh legged 13 year old!

As I said not the training session I was expecting but bloomin' marvellous. I am very proud of how fit my wee fetchie is and can't wait to take part in the 5K with her. We are going to go down to Parkrun next weekend as a practice for the Race for Life.

Lovely. fun run with my daughter. Thanks Rhona.

don't worry, be happy :)



No comments:

Post a Comment