Pages

Friday 22 June 2012

Thunder, lightening, stitches and devil dugs

After a manic morning mainly spent sitting in a traffic jam on the by-pass (Royal Highland Show) I came home and had my lunch. After about an hour I decided to go out for my run. There had been a good rousing thunderstorm and the bouncing rain had stopped so it seemed like the right time to go out.

And to begin with all was well. About a mile into my run I started to have a stitch which got worse and worse, probably didn't leave enough time after my lunch. But I am hardcore (ha ha) so I just ran through the pain. And then I noticed I was absolutely roasting, it had suddenly gotten really warm and the big black clouds rolled in. The thunder started again. However, I was out for five miles so five miles I was going to run. As I turned into the park there was a huge Rottweiller mauling a piece of wood in the park so I turned, not wanting to be it's next toy, and ran along a different path. This sent me off in a different direction from my normal route and I ended up running along a footpath which goes alongside a burn. The burn was quite full and there was a manic wee dug going absolutely bananas as it's owner threw sticks in the water for it. It went mad when I ran past barking it's wee head off. So on I kept going with the thunder and lightening rattling around my head. I went to head off up the big hill I usually run up and there in the park next to the hill was two enormous Alsatian dogs sharing some fun with a munched traffic cone. There was a lot of growling going on. "Flippin' eck" I thought what is with all of these dogs! It must have been the thunder.

Still by that point, and all of those dogs later, my stitch had disappeared and I was running along happily. I then turned onto a trail path that takes me back to the big hill which leads back to my house. What I had forgotten about was the torrential rain an hour earlier and the fact that the path was covered in mud and puddles. What a blast I had, my feet and legs were caked in mud. Keswick has cured me of my fear of mud! What a great bit of the run.

Almost home and the thunder and lightening was rumbling closer and closer and the rain was splooshing down and chasing me up the road. I managed to get home just in time and sat at the back door drinking my water and watching the lightening. Ended up running 4 miles - rain and dugs chased me in early :)

Don't you just love weather???

don't worry, be happy :)

No comments:

Post a Comment