Pages

Tuesday 26 June 2012

Summer running and Pablo the pool bouy

My day started with a bit of toil time from work and a wonderful summer run. The sun was shining     and the fields were full of summer wild flowers. Their were two beautiful shire horses (yes really in Penicuik) being fed by the farmer. Pure bliss! Finished my four miles and then headed into work.

After work Alistair and I decided to go for a swim. Alistair was going to try and give me a swimming lesson! After nearly 2 years of not swimming he is back in the water and looks like he has not had a break at all! Anyway, back to my lesson. After a few lengths to get warmed up Alistair got a hold of a pool bouy for me. It was a child's one (pool didn't have anything else - note to self take Alistair's next time). Tracey has formed a special relationship with her Pedro - this may well be Pedro's wee cousin. I love him. Well, we started with me gliding under the water as far as I could to get used to it. Then Alistair said I should try doing four strokes and then take a breath. Gliding was fine but by the time I came up for a breath I was gasping. I was just not breathing out at all. So, after a considerable amount of time gasping, I told Alistair that my main problem was I didn't really know what to do whilst I was under the water. So he told me that I should be breathing out ready for my next breath. This sounds sooooo easy but when you have never been told how to and have asthma which you are convinced is going to kick off, it isn't. Once Alistair worked out what my problem was he told me to purse my lips and blow out. Yippee, finally a break through, I managed to push, glide and then blow out until I was ready to come up. NOT OUT OF BREATH!!! ( this is the break though part). My plan now is to keep doing this at the end of my swim session to get used to the breathing out part and then I will give the next bit a go.

Feel quite good about myself tonight :)

don't worry, be happy :)

No comments:

Post a Comment