Pages

Friday 10 August 2012

Major breakthrough on the swimming front!

I got up this morning and was ever so slightly nervous. I had arranged to meet up with Andy and Rhona's swimming teacher Lynne to see if she could help me get over the "getting my head in the water" problem that I have when swimming. I have been trying lots and lots but just cannot get over the thought that I will never be able to breath under water and then I end up gasping for breath and not being able to get back into my stroke again. This is really holding back me improving any so with another triathlon on the horizon I really wanted to get this licked.



Anyway, off to the pool I went. When I got there Lynne was already there and waiting. We started with blowing bubbles in the water which was fine, I could cope with that. Then we progressed to putting our eyes in the water - there you go - now I can't breathe! gasp gasp gasp, right ready to go again. Lynne was so patient, we tried lots and lots of different techniques to try and calm my breathing down. I am fine until I have to put my full head in the water and then I stop breathing. So Lynne asked me to swim up to the end of the pool the way I would normally. She said I almost had my head in anyway and that I was not far off being able to turn my head into the water. mmmm easier said than done. So by this point we were up the deep end. So Lynne then tried getting me to sink to the bottom of the pool and breathe out. Firstly could not get myself to sink (?????) not sure why? and Lynne was sitting at the bottom waiting on me. Then first time I held my breath and then popped up gasping. The next time Lynne told me to close my eyes whilst I did it so I did that and lo and behold! I managed to take a breath and then control it under the water. "It was a panicky breath" said Lynne "but a breath nonetheless". making a teeny weeny bit of progress. I suddenly realised that after 30 mins I was still breathing and maybe I could do this after all. Lynne decided then to try and get me to use the breast stroke and to swim with my mouth in the water and breathing in and out. I did that and managed it! Then she said "just tip your eyes in to the water as you stretch out" - and hey! I managed that too! She then told me that I had swum half the length of the pool in a serious of push and glides! She wanted me then to count to two as I pushed out with my arms which meant I had to control my breathing for a little bit longer. Bloomin' eck I managed that too! There maybe is hope for me yet!!

Lynne then had me do some back stroke, which was really hard work, but I did feel I was quite good at that. So might practice that a bit too.

By this point Lynne's one-to-one (a lovely wee 3 year old girl who had no fears at all) had arrived. I stayed for a bit longer and practised a bit longer. I actually felt like I am a real swimmer! who hoo. Not sure I will be able to do this for a whole 30 lengths in the triathlon (as it is only 4 weeks away) but I can certainly work on it over the winter. I have a bit of a secret plan for next year which will be dependent on me learning how to swim properly and comfortably! But watch this space all will be revealed sometime next year.

I am absolutely delighted with my breakthrough and it is all down to Lynne's calming tutoring! She is running with the Paralympic torch in Edinburgh on the 26th August. So we will be there to cheer her on - if you are there give her a shout out for us too!



Now I am off to pack my wee bag for going to London tomorrow to catch the last of the Olympic's in London. The men's marathon is the last event on Sunday and we will be there to cheer the runners on!

don't worry, be happy :)



No comments:

Post a Comment