Pages

Saturday 4 August 2012

Parkrun and a first!

Alistair, Rhona and I took ourselves down to Cramond today for the Parkrun.




 It was really sunny and warm and the beach at Cramond looked lovely. Alistair had decided that he wanted to give his bike a go on the flat after almost two years of not being on it. Rhona said she would go with him on her bike and chum him. It was so nice to see him back on his bike - where he should be! He said he didn't feel the clot at all however, a lack of muscles and perhaps a little too much Alistair meant that he could feel his muscles groaning a bit when he was on his bike. Still baby steps! Six months ago he was saying he would perhaps never get back on a bike!!



I left Alistair and Rhona, as they cycled off along the foreshore, to go to the start of the Parkrun. I still have a bit of a niggle in my left hamstring and have been working hard at trying to stretch it out. It doesn't seem to bother me too much when I am running other than to nip a bit when I try to stretch out in my stride. However, I was determined to try and run under 31 mins today as I have been feeling quite good recently. It was roasting and not a breath of wind, which is really unusual for Cramond. Still I kept pushing on. Passed Rhona and Alistair at the 3k mark and gave them a wee wave. As usual I started to struggle a bit at 3.5 - 4k (I swear there is a bit of an incline here but Tracey disagrees with me - although Alistair reckons there is too!!!). I passed the 4k marker and started to feel a bit better again. And then my final struggle, the wooded path. This is the very last stretch where you know you are nearly home but it is still quite a wee bit away. I always slow down here no matter how much I try to speed up. But try I did and what was the time on my watch??? 31.11 aaaaggghhhh!! Not sure even the official parkrun time will be less than that. So nearly there. It was just too hot. :( I also think that not having Tracey bearing down on me made a huge difference to my perseverance,  I think I must subconsciously must keep going as I know she is behind me normally. 

Anyway, I was still delighted as Alistair was back on his bike! He loves his bike so much and it may be that he can't do mountain biking as this does involve lots of falling off but if he could get back to his road bike then this would be good. Rhona and him reckon they cycled about 4 miles so that is a good start! 


Now I am going to watch Mo Farah run twice the distance as me in half the time ! ha ha ha :)

don't worry, be happy :)

No comments:

Post a Comment