Pages

Sunday 1 July 2012

Streaking in July!

This month, just for a bit of fun (???) Garfield (one of my Fetch buddies) are going on a July Streak. For those of you reading this who think we may well have lost our minds and our running about starkers - I am going to disappoint! Streaking in the world of running is where you run everyday for a month - whether it be one mile (the streak saver) or ten miles. The idea is that you get absorbed in running and really get back to basics. My streak last year was in June but as I had a lot of events on this June I decided to keep it for July and I will have a lovely beach to run on for two weeks so that should make it easy to get out everyday. The tough two days will be the ones we are travelling but streak savers may well be used to save those two days.

Anyway, today's streak started with a lovely 4 miles. I like running on a Sunday morning because life in Penicuik just seems a bit slower. We have several churches in Penicuik and they were all filling up as I was passing. The park was full of wee boys playing football with proud parents watching. I did have a bit of a giggle at the tiny tots playing football. There were three pitches: one with older children, one with maybe 8 year olds and the last one had what I think were under 5's? The coach of the under fives looked like he was ready to blow a gasket. The kids were running about all over the place and every time one got the ball they all jumped on that kid and then they were all on the floor. At one point I heard the coach shout "Aiden, you're not allowed to pick up the ball, it's football not rugby". It was really funny :):):)

It was warm and quite humid, but was really nice for running in, I really enjoyed it.

Talking about proud parents I am a bit proud of my Mum! She texted me yesterday to say that she had a secret! She has entered the Glasgow 10K in September and is going to walk it. She has been in secret training. My Mum was always a fit mum and did mad things like Karate and running when I was younger. My Dad and her have done bike trips and walk lots but in the last few years her life has been taken over by caring for her Mum, my Grandma, who died last year. My Mum and Dad have been getting their life kick started again and now my Mum is doing this with my Dad coaching her. I am already signed up for the half marathon and now can't wait cos my Mum will be there taking part in the fun also. Well done Mum and get out there training! You will absolutely love the atmosphere in Glasgow - I hope it is sunny for us :)

don't worry, be happy :)


2 comments:

  1. I think it would be more fun if you did do it naked!!! I am going to attempt something similar, but not just running, as I'm determined not to let my blood sugars get high again, so will be attempting some form of run, swim, cycle or tap dance every day during the holidays, that'll sort those buggers out!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. excellent - streaking is the most fun you can have with your clothes on!

      Delete